Powerball is a combined large jackpot game and a cash game. Every Wednesday and Saturday night at 10:59 p.m. Eastern Time, five white balls are drawn out of a drum with 59 balls and one red ball is drawn out of a drum with 35 red balls. Draw sales cut off at least 59 minutes before the draw and the local cut-off time depends on the region.
Players win the Powerball lottery by matching one of the 9 Ways to Win:
|Jackpot||5 main + PB|
|2nd Prize||5 main|
|3rd Prize||4 main + PB|
|4th Prize||4 main|
|5th Prize||3 main + PB|
|6th Prize||3 main|
|7th Prize||2 main + PB|
|8th Prize||1 main + PB|
|9th Prize||0 main + PB|
The Powerball lottery jackpot (won by matching all five white balls in any order and the red Powerball) is either an annuitized prize paid out over 29 years (30 payments) or a lump sum payment. Each ticket costs $2. If the winner chooses the annuity, the annual payment will be increased each year by the percentage set out in the Powerball game rules.
The second Powerball lottery prize (won by matching five white balls in any order) is $1,000,000 paid in cash and any time the red Powerball is matched, you win. The overall odds of winning a prize in the game are approximately 1 in 32.
Recently the Powerball lottery has had some HUGE jackpot prizes. May 2013 was a very exciting month for the US Powerball lottery. A $360 million jackpot went without a winner in the Wedneday, 15th May draw which stirred a frenzy amoungst global lottery fans. The US Powerball lottery estimated jackpot for the following draw reached $600,000,000 by Friday night the top prize for the Saturday draw settled at $590.5 million, a new personal best for the American lottery, and the largest ever jackpot claimed by a single ticket holder from Florida.
The Powerball lottery has featured 6 times in the top 10 highest US jackpots ever.
1. $656 million, Mega Millions, March 30, 2012 (3 tickets from Kansas, Illinois and Maryland)
2. $590.5 million, Powerball, May 18, 2013 (1 ticket from Florida)
3. $587.5 million, Powerball, Nov. 28, 2012 (2 tickets from Arizona and Missouri)
4. $400 million, Powerball, (drawing scheduled for Wednesday, Aug. 7; jackpot could grow)
5. $390 million, Mega Millions, March 6, 2007 (2 tickets from Georgia and New Jersey)
6. $380 million, Mega Millions, Jan. 4, 2011 (2 tickets from Idaho and Washington)
7. $365 million, Powerball, Feb. 18, 2006 (1 ticket from Nebraska)
8. $363 million, The Big Game, May 9, 2000 (2 tickets from Illinois and Michigan)
9. $340 million, Powerball, Oct. 19, 2005 (1 ticket from Oregon)
10. $338.3 million, Powerball, March 23, 2013 (1 ticket from New Jersey)
MOST POWERBALL JACKPOTS WON
|*Correct as at 06 August 2013|